NH1 News Seeks Assignment Editor
Based in the brand new NH1 Media Center in Concord, NH1 is seeking an Assignment Editor who will run the newsgathering hub during the night shift. This individual will be a news junkie who loves to chase a good story and works sources.
The Assignment Editor will primarily focus on the one -hour 10:00 PM newscast, but will have additional responsibilities for the afternoon newscasts as well. The Assignment Editor will be an important member of the newsroom leadership team and will work in concert with the NH1 radio and digital managers on news gathering. This individual will report to the Assignment Manager.
· The Assignment Editor supervises and directs the nightly newsgathering process for the 10:00PM one-hour late news broadcast.
· The individual dispatches field crews, monitors scanners, makes phone calls, is familiar with all means of developing and setting up news stories, and researches and verifies news tips. This person is responsible for generating original content ideas and for cultivating sources.
· The Assignment Editor will make logistical decisions in terms of moving crews from one story to the next and communicates assignment changes to field personnel.
· This person assists the dayside Assignment Manager in all assignment desk related duties as dictated by the Assignment Manager.
· The Assignment Editor interacts and shares information with NH1 radio and digital news colleagues.
· This position requires supervision of journalists and news photographers and informs supervisors of any issues or changes related to newsgathering crews and assignments.
· The Assignment Editor will be the main back-up for the Assignment Manager and when required will be called upon to fill in for the Assignment Manager.
· At least two years of experience as a broadcast - assignment editor or related experience.
· Excellent news judgment and problem solving skills.
· Previous supervisory experience preferred.
· Decisive and effective communicator.
· Flexible and adept when orchestrating crew reassignments under severe time restraints and logistical challenges.
· Ability to multi-task especially during high- pressure situations.
· Able to work flexible hours.
· Desire to develop news sources and passionate about winning breaking news.
· Knowledge of the area is a plus.
· The Assignment Editor should be able to edit video or be willing to be trained to edit for broadcast.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or related field.
Please send resume and salary history to email@example.com.
NH1 and Binnie Media are Equal Opportunity Employers.